Sunday, January 17, 2010

gorgeous' slippers (original pattern)




Original pattern deux. I'm quite happy to share with you my "take" on a classic lil' pair of TV slippers! These comfy (and darn cute!) slippers were inspired by my Grandma Gorgeous' favorite pair of slippers, knit by a dear friend of hers:


The original pair (pictured above) were thickly knit out of a sturdy wool on straight needles and then seamed up the back and along the front. The bow on the top seems to be some extra yarn that was braided into a cord, tied in a simple bow, and then sewn to the top of the slipper. I instantly fell in love with their adorable retro-ness and it wasn't long before I had deciphered my own, up-to-date version.

I simplified the construction a bit by knitting on straight needles from the heel to where the sides come together on top of the foot. I then switched to double pointed needles and knit in the round for the remainder of the slipper. Also, I opted for a pom-pom instead of a bow, but really either work.

To replicate the sturdy, thick knit, I used two strands of Cascade 220 on size US 10 needles.


It's the perfect yarn. Soft, warm, had a good amount of cushion, and even though the tag says to hand wash and lay flat to dry - Mother Dearest tosses hers in the washer and then in the dryer for a little bit and they've been fine. Of course, this can break down the yarn over time, so hand washing and air drying is always recommended, but... it's good to know, right? Especially because there is a lot of give with these slippers - they can stretch out quite a bit over time - so it's good to know that you can shrink 'em back up in the dryer if you need to. Just be careful not to felt them! Toss 'em in the dryer just enough to shrink them back up.


Another benefit to this versatile and wallet-friendly yarn is that you can knit a pair (any size) out of one skein. That's right... one skein! It's knit from the beginning and end of the skein at the same time which is quite easy if you wind your skein at your yarn store so that you can pull yarn from the middle as well as the outside of your "ball."



So, I hope you like the pattern! Feel free to click on the link below to be directed to the PDF. And please... let me know what you think! I'd love to hear feedback!


13 comments:

Drop Stitches Not Bombs said...

So adorable! They would make super gifts.

Vanessa said...

These are terrific. I have been looking and looking for a perfect pair of slippers to make for my friends daughter who is wheelchair bound. Awesome! Thanks!

Sue said...

The first thing I ever knit was a pair of these from a kit in red yarn. The needles were wooden and I still have them. My mom was knitting and I just had to learn how. I think I was about 6. I can still see those in my mind all these years later. I am 55 now. What memories they bring back. Thanks for sharing..

Mary said...

I'd love to know how to adjust this pattern to the size for felting. I want to make some for my husband size 10 shoe, but don't know number of stitches and how to increase pattern to allow for shrinkage. Please contact me if you have the adjustments to the pattern. Thanks
Mary

Dita said...

This is adorable. I am going to try it. Thanks for your generosity and sharing it with us. Dita.

the little owl said...

Why thank you, so much! I'm glad you think they're cute - they're oh so warm, too. I hope you enjoy the pattern, and I'd love to see them when you finish!

gemshotphotography said...

Thanks, this pattern looks awesome going to try it now.

the little owl said...

Your'e welcome! Let me know what you think...

Anonymous said...

The shade of that purple Cascade 220 is beautiful.

Lori said...

Hi, I really have been looking for a easy pattern to do and this one is so doable! But I found it off of tip nut and it said a free PDF downlod. Then I got to it and it takes me to a $2 download. I must be getting to wrong spot. Can you help me ? I have several elderly ladies who would love these for Christmas. I so appreciate your help.

the little owl said...

Lori, yes this pattern was available for free for the last two years. However due to the number of downloads, as well as the growing number of patterns I'm creating, I've decided that I need to charge a nominal fee for my original patterns. The fee is far less than most original patterns out there on the web, and I hope that my Le Petit Hibou Readers understand. Thank you for your interest!

Anonymous said...

Hi There, I would love to make these as well. I don't see where to find the pdf for the pattern?

the little owl said...

Above, at the bottom of the post, you'll find a link to Ravelry, which will allow you to purchase and download the pattern. Thank you so much for your interest!